January 9, 2011

Should I Read Jane Eyre?

January 9, 2011
I have a confession. I have never read Jane Eyre and I have never had any desire to. In fact, I purposely left this book off my classics project reading list. I have absolutely no idea why I have always felt this way. This afternoon, Jayson, Alexa and I went to see the movie Country Strong. One of the previews was for the new Jane Eyre movie coming out and it actually looked really good. Now, I am thinking that I should read the novel. What if I am missing out on something great for reasons that I can't even explain? So, I ask you...should I read Jane Eyre?

6 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm much more of an Austen person than a Bronte person, but I think Jane Eyre is worth reading. I didn't love it, but I did like it. I would love to see the new Jane Eyre movie. It looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog you have here!

I can't say definitively whether or not Jane Eyre is a must read as I only read it more than a decade ago. However, I plan to re-read it sometime this year. Your mention of a new film adaptation coming up may bump it up on my list.

Darlyn (Your Move, Dickens) said...

Yes, you definitely should because a) Jane is an awesome feminist character and b) Mr. Rochester! LOL. On a different note, I highly recommend the BBC adaptation.

Carey said...

Hmmm...well, Jane Eyre has been officially added to the project list. I was convinced by your posts, a fellow blogger who said she liked Jane Eyre even more after reading Rebecca first (which I just finished for a read-along), and by a read-along of the novel that the blog She is Too Fond of Books is hosting:
http://she-is-too-fond-of-books.blogspot.com/2011/01/jane-eyre-read-along.html

Anonymous said...

Read it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

u must read dis book its jst osom
i hv read it dozens of tym bt still i feel i must read it agen
its just a fantastic book to be read

 
◄Design by Pocket. Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Blogger Templates