October 19, 2010

The List...

October 19, 2010
I have posted a list of 45 selections to begin my challenge. As the challenge moves along, I may elect to lengthen the list...perhaps to 100. A few books that I would have included are not listed because I have already read them (in the last couple years) for college courses I was taking: Robinson Crusoe...Daniel Defoe, The Scarlett Letter...Nathaniel Hawthorne, Emma...Jane Austen, The Red Badge of Courage...Stephen Crane, Uncle Tom's Cabin...Harriet Beecher Stowe, The Awakening...Kate Chopin, East of Eden...John Steinbeck, and
A Prayer for Owen Meany...John Irving.



And yes, I love vintage and otherwise interesting book covers! Who doesn't, right...right?

Anyway, I think I am going to make Little Women and The Diary of Anne Frank my first two selections from the list. I have had a strange affair with books relating to Louisa May Alcott this year; starting with Harriet Reisen's biography: Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women. I have also read March by Geraldine Brooks and The Lost Summer Of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees. I remember that in fourth grade our teacher purchased books from the Scholastic Book Order and then allowed us to each pick one from a table for our Christmas present. I was an avid reader as a child and so I, of course, picked the thickest book on the table: Little Women. I haven't read this book since I was a child and am wondering if I will enjoy it as an adult as much as I did back then. As for The Diary of Anne Frank, I must confess that I have NEVER read it, although I have seen the movie.

1 comments:

Allie said...

I LOVE vintage covers. I just got the full collection published by Penguin of the Sherlock Holmes novels and stories. They're are gloriously vintage and I love them. :) I always buy editions with the best covers if I can help it (unless its a translation-then I go by translator).

Little Women is such a wonderful book. I reread it this summer and loved it, just as much as I did when I was younger. If you haven't read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn before, it would be an excellent follow-up novel (its another childhood favorite of mine).

 
◄Design by Pocket. Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Blogger Templates